Health and Safety / Career
Overview of Occupation
Income Bracket: HR Consultant: $72,000 – $80,000 / HR Manager: $95,000 – $120,000
Health and Safety professionals develop and coordinate safety and health systems and strategies within organisations. They identify workplace hazards, assess risks to employee health and safety, and recommend solutions. Increasingly, Health and Safety Professionals are also responsible for many of the environmental aspects of their workplace. As this profession matures there is an increased emphasis on risk management strategy and on the development of workplace culture.
Alternative Titles: Safety Representative
Education and Training: Workplace Health & Safety Course, applicants should have a background in the Civil Industry.
Employment Opportunities: Numerous opportunities exist within the Roads and Mining Sectors.
Range of tasks performed in the occupation:
Safety and health professionals in the minerals industry may perform the following tasks:
- Promote occupational health and safety within the organisation and develop safer and healthier ways of working
- Inspect and test machinery and equipment, such as lifting devices, machine shields and scaffolding, to make sure they meet safety regulations
- Make sure that personal protective equipment, such as dust masks, safety glasses, footwear and safety helmets, is being used in workplaces according to regulations
- Make sure that dangerous materials are correctly stored
- Identify and test work areas for potential accident and health hazards, such as toxic fumes and explosive gas-air mixtures, and implement appropriate control measures
Occupational Health and Safety suits someone who:
- Good communication skills
- Good negotiation skills
- Tact and courtesy
- Able to be firm and impartial when making decisions
- Able to be resourceful
- Good problem-solving skills