Leading Hand / Career
Overview of Occupation
Income Bracket: $60,000 – $90,000+
A Leading Hand is usually a qualified operator or other civil works specialist who takes on a more responsible role within a team with limited supervision of others. This is a ‘hands on’ job requiring the ability to motivate and lead others by example.
Alternative Titles: Team Leader
Education and Training: Usually you will have completed a traineeship or apprenticeship in civil construction. The formal qualification on completion of a traineeship/apprenticeship is Certificate III in Civil Construction. After completing your traineeship/apprenticeship, it is possible to undertake further units of competency in people management skills that could contribute to a Certificate IV in Civil Construction, the formal post-trade qualification for this type of work.
Employment Opportunities: If you show initiative as a Leading Hand and have the drive to succeed, you could be in line for promotion into a more senior supervisory or management position, or you could go on to run your own civil contracting business.
Range of tasks performed in the occupation:
- Limited supervision within a team
- Overseeing the use of plant and materials
- Providing methodology and technical assistance to labourers, ascertaining any training requirements
- Setting work priorities
- Monitoring safety, quality, OH&S and environmental plans
To be successful in this occupation you should:
- Be able to communicate effectively at all levels
- Have good leadership skills including being able to motivate and lead by example
- Be able to analyse and solve problems
- Have an eye for detail