Make A Start / Information on Where to Begin and More
Where Do I Begin
In the civil construction industry you can build just about anything: from major freeways to railways, water storage reservoirs, even new housing subdivisions. Civil construction workers do the site clearance, excavations, sewerage and drainage, lay the asphalt for roads, the ballast for railways and even dam walls.
Civil construction is anything to do with the earth, water or transport infrastructure. It is a crucial part of Australia’s economy, responsible for billions of dollars of economic activity each year, and it needs you. Jobs range from the plant operators who drive the earthmoving equipment on construction sites, to the engineers who design the structures and manage their implementation.
There is plenty of demand for skilled workers in the industry. In civil construction you will have a great future, be able to work throughout Australia and overseas; in local government councils, private contracting firms and the mining industry.
Who is it for?
Civil construction is for people who want to make a constructive difference. It is a career where you can really make a tangible impact, leave your ‘mark’, work with other talented people and be well rewarded.
For example, as an engineer you can shape your city for the future and be in demand across the world and if you’re a plant operator, you can work on some of Australia’s largest and most well-known infrastructure projects.
Choose a Career
You can choose your own progressive career and pathway – anything from designing a new rail corridor, managing the building of a new freeway to driving the massive earth-moving equipment.
You can enter civil construction straight from school or after university studies.
For example, if you are a practical person who likes to work with your hands and perhaps would like to operate earth-moving equipment you can become a trainee or an apprentice in the industry. As part of the job you will enjoy a rewarding salary package while receiving formal career development and training through a Registered Training Organisation. You could work your way up to become a supervisor, team leader, foreman or even site supervisor.
If maths and science are subjects you enjoy, you could go to university to become a civil engineer. You would commence work as a graduate and gain incredible experience in a range of projects. A civil engineer’s work is diverse – in an office designing roads, bridges and the like or onsite managing operations. Graduate programs are run by government and private contracting firms. They provide excellent career development and guidance from experienced engineers. Graduates may become a Project Engineer, Works Engineer or Estimator, determining project costing and the materials required for major projects.
Education & Training
Civil Train is the national brand for the training operations of the Civil Contractors Federation.
The CCF has Registered Training Organisations operating under the Civil Train brand in four states: Victoria, Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia. Civil Train QLD has been in operation since 1998 and is the market leader in training within the civil construction industry in Queensland.
THE CIVIL TRAIN QLD DIFFERENCE
Our clients benefit from the fact that we know civil construction training: it’s what we specialise in. We offer quality industry training and believe in training by the industry, for the industry. That is why we work directly with our clients to develop and deliver the best possible training outcomes; resulting in training that is relevant, efficient and cost effective.
What’s more is that because we are the training division of CCF QLD, Civil Train QLD has a direct link to engage in strong industry partnerships; a unique point of difference from other RTOs within the industry.
With a focus on customer service, flexibility and professionalism, Civil Train QLD is an industry leader for high quality training within the civil construction industry.
INDUSTRY TRAINED AND EXPERIENCED PROFESSIONALS
Civil Train QLD prides itself on its team of professionals who are industry trained, qualified, experienced and employ innovative training delivery methods. Our trainers service regions all over Queensland, and will come to you for practical and flexible on-the-job training; reducing the cost of staff training to businesses and providing employers with minimal workplace disruptions. We also run courses at our training centres or your workplace.
Our team’s goal is to assist students to reach their full potential through exceptional services, accessibility and sharing of knowledge. Our dedication to the industry and those who work within it, makes us the trainer of choice for civil construction companies and their employees.
CIVIL TRAIN QLD STRIVE TO ENSURE EXCELLENCE IN CIVIL CONSTRUCTION TRAINING
Our training model brings together five core elements that we believe deliver the best quality training for your business.
Civil Train QLD’s training services are supported by state-of-the-art training facilities; packed with the best facilities that industry training providers have to offer. As a Civil Train QLD client, you and your trainees and apprentices have access to:
- the Queensland Civil Industry Training Centre, Brisbane, comprising of: an 84 seat theatre; computer facilities; plant simulators; small tools training room; confined space and trench shoring training facilities; specialised training rooms, fully equipped with audio visual equipment and smart boards.
- the Queensland Civil Industry Training Centre, Townsville, comprising of: plant simulator; training and meeting rooms; confined space and working at heights facilities.
- the Civil Train Mobile Training Unit; a portable facility that can be transported to locations across Queensland, comprising of:
- a plant simulator
- learning area and computers
WE GET YOU ACCESS TO AVAILABLE FUNDING
Whilst training is valuable to your business we do understand that it can be costly, which is why Civil Train QLD can get you access to a range of funding options and incentives that are available for businesses to train and upskill their staff. Specifically, Civil Train QLD has access to various Commonwealth and Queensland Government funding arrangements, such as User Choice and may also be able to access other non-government sources. With an abundance of funding opportunities available, we can help you save money!
RECOGNITION OF PRIOR LEARNING (RPL)
We know your business can’t afford to have its employees diverted from the most important tasks for more time than they need to be, that’s why Civil Train provides a range of training options, as well as a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) service. This means your staff only completes the training that is truly needed; saving you time and ultimately saving you money.
Civil Train QLD offers nationally recognised training qualifications that can be delivered both on and off-site. We understand that no two individuals have the same training requirements, so Civil Train QLD will work with you to identify your specific needs and create personalised training solutions that are effective for your business. After all, training must be relevant, flexible and cost effective.
Civil Train QLD’s nationally recognised qualifications are designed to increase recognition in the workplace, build staff skill levels, improve overall job satisfaction and build your business capability.
Our courses include:
- RII20715 Certificate II in Civil Construction
- RII30815 Certificate III in Civil Construction – Plant Operations
- RII31215 Certificate III in Civil Construction – Foundations
- RII30915 Certificate III in Civil Construction –
- Stream 1 Bituminous Surfacing
- Stream 2 Bridge Construction and Maintenance
- Stream 3 Pipe Laying
- Stream 4 Road Construction and Maintenance
- Stream 5 Road Marking
- RII40615 Certificate IV in Civil Construction – Operations
- RII40715 Certificate IV in Civil Construction – Supervision
- RII50415 Diploma in Civil Construction Management
- BSB41415 Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety
Civil Train QLD also offers both accredited and non-accredited short courses which are ideal for those who want to further develop their skills and up skill in specific areas. Short courses can be tailored to meet the specific needs of attendees or a specific client. Some of our courses include:
- RIIWHS202D Enter and work in confined spaces
- RIIWHS204D Work safely at heights
- RIIWHS205D Control traffic with stop-slow bat
- RIIWHS302D Traffic Management Implementation
- Metered standpipe operation (Queensland Urban Utilities)
- RIICCM208D Carry out basic levelling
- RICCM201D Carry out measurements and calculations
- HLTAID001 Provide Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- HLTAID003 Provide First Aid
- Quick Cut Saw
- FPICOT2239A Trim and Cut Felled Trees (Chainsaw)
- Ride-on Mower and Tractor VOC
At Civil Train, we know there are times when the training product that is available doesn’t suit your business needs. In these circumstances, Civil Train offers unique tailored training solutions designed specifically for you.
Civil Train QLD RTO number: 5708
Australian Apprenticeships – What Are They?
According to the Australia Government, “Australian Apprenticeships are available to anyone of working age. You don’t need a secondary school certificate or other qualification to be able to do an Australian Apprenticeship. As an Australian Apprentice you can combine time at work with training as part of a full-time, part-time or school-based apprenticeship.
You can do an Australian Apprenticeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult worker simply wishing to change careers. You can even begin your Australian Apprenticeship while you’re still at secondary school. Australian Apprenticeships are the most direct link between training and a job because they offer you opportunities to train, study and earn an income at a variety of qualification levels in most occupations, as well as in traditional trades.
When you finish your Australian Apprenticeship, you’ll have a nationally recognised qualification that can take you anywhere in Australia and one that is held in high regard in many overseas countries as well. Australian Apprenticeships are available in a variety of certificate levels in more than 500 occupations across Australia. They are available in traditional trades, as well as a diverse range of emerging careers in most sectors of business and industry”.
Training packages are developed by the industry and are formally accredited and nationally recognised. On successful completion of the Australian Apprenticeship the Australian apprentice/trainee receives a qualification certificate that is recognised throughout the industry, and Australia.
Benefits to Your Business
- The ability to develop and maintain a skilled workforce.
- Opportunity to introduce youth into an aging workforce
- Development of skills of mature age people into the workforce
- Greater employee commitment leading to increased output
- Assists in building loyalty for the organisation
- Flexible training delivery
- You choose the Australian Apprentice
- Your choice of Registered Training Organisation (RTO) e.g. Civil Train QLD
- Support and advice from the RTO
- Training update reports from the RTO
- Access by employer to Government subsidised training through “User Choice” funding for certificate II & III qualifications
- Access to Commonwealth and State Government Employer Incentives (conditions apply)
- The opportunity to share an Australian Apprentice through a Group Training Company.
Government financial incentives may be available for you if you take on an Australian Apprentice.
Keeping it Simple
In the past, completing all the forms for taking on an apprentice or trainee was a complicated task. Not anymore. Civil Train QLD will put you in touch with a Australian Apprentice Support Network (AASN) which will process all the forms to establish a contract of training and help you apply for the Commonwealth Government incentives.
How Civil Train QLD Can Help
- information on which Australian Apprenticeship will suit your business needs;
- assistance with contacting a Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN);
- ongoing support for your Australian Apprentice during the training period;
If you are at School, this site is a powerful resource that will assist you in your endeavours to learn about a career in the civil construction industry. There are many ways to choose a career and countless opportunities to become involved in our Industry. If you would like more information about further education and training programs, please see below:
- https://www.qld.gov.au/education/apprenticeships/ – further information for students
- https://www.education.gov.au/youth – encourages young people to participate in further education, training and work
As a VET Coordinator or Teacher, you will find this website an excellent resource. We suggest you identify interested students and use this website as a tool to engage students into discussion to pursue their interests.